Hey, so I’ve been picking up some more shifts at work recently so I haven’t been able to post much. I had some spare time so I thought I’d share m process on how I made the movie poster for Red Son.
For those of you who don’t know; Superman: Red Son was a comic storied around what would happen if Superman landed in Russia instead of the United States. The comic is by far one of the best I have ever read and I highly recommend it to anyone willing to read it. Anyways, when this was assigned in class I remembered an abduzeedo tutorial I wanted to work through. This tutorial consisted of how to make a badass Man of Steel symbol using Adobe Illustrator and Adobe Photoshop. However, I also wanted the poster to be a little more original than copying his work and slapping some text on it. Then I remembered the comic and how awesome it would be if someone would actually adapt it into a movie. So I sketched out a few ideas and began to work.
Just in case anyone is curious the tutorial linked above shows you step by step how to make this
To start off I needed to create a path for the Red Son logo in Illustrator so I looked for a good image online to trace with the pen tool.
After I traced out my path I used the 3D tool (If you haven’t used this before you should check it out, it’s pretty cool) in Illustrator to add a bevel and emboss which resulted in this.
When I finished making the logo in illustrator I saved it off and opened up Photoshop. I began the actual poster with a black background to start.
Next I found a bunch of cool metal textures from both the tutorial page and CGtextures.
I played around with the opacity of both layers until I found the setting that I felt looked best. The first texture was set to 10% opacity while the second texture was set to 70% opacity.
After that I inserted the logo into my file but it didn’t really look like it fit well with the background.
To try an fix this I tried applying a third metal texture. But this time I only applied the texture to the logo using a clipping mask.
I didn’t really work. In fact I think this texture made the logo look a little pink. I decided to add another metal texture using a clipping mask; but this time, I also applied a colour burn layer style and that’s when things started to look better.
Next I browsed the internet looking for a good font to use for my title and “coming soon” at the bottom. I found the font “SF Movie Poster” and I thought that it looked great! I played around with the typography settings in Photoshop and positioned the copy on my file. I also wanted to add some more aesthetics to my poster so I looked around for some random actors to list as the cast at the top. I also found this amazing font called SteelTongs (which you can download HERE) to use near the bottom of my poster.
I also felt that the copy looked a little off here so I applied a texture with a clipping mask here as well.
To finish off the poster I threw in a tagline. The tag line actually gave me a little bit of difficulty. This is because I wanted to use a different font as SF Movie Poster didn’t fit well. If you look at my original post you’ll see that I used Impact as the font for my tagline; but I really wanted to change it after looking at it for a while. So I browsed through my vast font collection and used Stencil STD as the font. I still don’t think it’s perfect but I feel that it looks a helluva lot better than impact.
Here is my finished Poster again. I hope you enjoyed the post and feel free to leave a comment!