Now that my semester is over I can start posting on the blog again, woo! That also means I can start practicing photography again. I just turned 19 a few weeks ago and went to get a pack of beer. I loved one of the designs so I decided to use it as my subject for more practice. Below are some of my pictures. I’ll explain my thought process on taking them tomorrow after my shift : )
So I’ve started learning 3DS MAX and the first thing I needed to do with it was recreate a 3D logo and animate it. I am a huge Toronto Raptors fan so I chose the Raptors Logo.
After bringing the Logo into MAX I began tracing out all the individual parts of the logo in order to make it 3D.
It took a good dozen hours or so to finally finish drawing out all of the splines but it was oh, so satisfying when I finished.
After I finished drawing out all of the splines I began to add bevels to all of them in order to start making the logo 3D.
Once all the individual parts of the logo were beveled I used the material editor to make different materials for the logo using the team’s colours via hex-codes and varying levels of glossiness and specular level.
For my animation I wanted to show the logo from 3 different angles; the left, the right, and the top, before unveiling it as a whole. So I began to play with the lights and camera positions.
For the actual logo “unveiling” I wanted the logo to spin onto the screen. To do this I made a copy of the front plates in 3DS MAX and “mirrored” them horizontally and put them on the back side of the logo. Thus, making it double sided.
Below is my final animation. Enjoy.
Yesterday evening I decided to do some more practice with my camera so I went into my backyard because I figured I could find tons of things to use as my subject there. While taking my pictures I determined that I should really get a tripod as soon as possible haha; its hard getting a good picture with unsteady hands ;P Anyways I took a whole lot of pictures of flowers and just stuff laying around my back yard.
This is the first one I took, a pink flower. The picture came out pretty dark so I used a lot of adjustments layers in Photoshop such as, exposure, vibrance and levels.
This is just one of the many pictures I took, so check back regularly for updates and as always thanks for reading!
While playing around with the adjustment layers I made this and I felt that it looked awesome! I’ll try to create (or stumble across) more stylized images along with the others.
I think I like this photo the best because I feel it looks pretty cool without any adjustments at all. However I did increase my exposure a little and added a little more contrast to the owl. I also played with a whole lot of settings for the 3rd version; I think it looks a little grainy but lets you see more of the detail in both the owl and the wall behind it. (The only thing I regret about this photo is accidentally not getting the last part of the ear in the shot)
I really love this picture after changing the hue and saturation, it makes it look like the flower is from somewhere tropical and not just behind my deck haha.