I needed to build a crane that demonstrated link constraint and hide and show techniques in 3DS Max. I was originally going to build an arm crane like the one from Toy Story but then I thought, “I should try to build something complicated!” I don’t want to say that was a mistake but it took a LONG time to just build this thing and then it took just as long to animate it. I built everything with basic and advanced shapes (hoses, chamfer boxes etc) but I didn’t know how to rig it. So I connected everything using link constraint (which also took a long time) and then animated it. The video is REALLY low quality so I apologize for that. I’ll upload an HD version in bit.
My final submission for my 3D class. I chose to use a Band-Aid box as the product I wanted to advertise. The animation could be a little better but I should get an award for my voice acting.
Ill get to these processes when my semester finished. Really busy right now.
So I’ve started learning 3DS MAX and the first thing I needed to do with it was recreate a 3D logo and animate it. I am a huge Toronto Raptors fan so I chose the Raptors Logo.
Let’s go Raptors
After bringing the Logo into MAX I began tracing out all the individual parts of the logo in order to make it 3D.
It took a good dozen hours or so to finally finish drawing out all of the splines but it was oh, so satisfying when I finished.
After I finished drawing out all of the splines I began to add bevels to all of them in order to start making the logo 3D.
Once all the individual parts of the logo were beveled I used the material editor to make different materials for the logo using the team’s colours via hex-codes and varying levels of glossiness and specular level.
Here’s a better look at the logo in a 3D form
For my animation I wanted to show the logo from 3 different angles; the left, the right, and the top, before unveiling it as a whole. So I began to play with the lights and camera positions.
For the actual logo “unveiling” I wanted the logo to spin onto the screen. To do this I made a copy of the front plates in 3DS MAX and “mirrored” them horizontally and put them on the back side of the logo. Thus, making it double sided.
Below is my final animation. Enjoy.
I’ve been trying to get better at flash and action script so I have took on a self inclined project to make preloaders using the logos of every NBA team. I have already made a basic Toronto Raptors and Miami Heat preloaders but I intend on making more advanced ones further down the road.
To create the Heat Preloader I started by creating a new AS3 file in flash and importing a picture of the Miami Heat Logo to the stage. I then began tracing it out using Flash’s pen tool.
The easiest part of tracing the logo was the ring around the top of the ball. I made it very quickly by using oval tool and changing the inner radius option.
This is what the logo looked like after I finished tracing/inking everything.
Next I had to trace out the font. I left the font blank because I wanted it to be part of the preloader.
Something I really need to work on is my masking. For some reason I have a lot of trouble understanding how masking works in flash. I bring this up because in order to get the colour/fill of the logo to look right I made a separate white layer for the background; next I copied the outline of the heat logo and pasted it in place on the background layer. Next I clicked inside the outline and deleted it and the white inside so when I put the fill on another layer, it would only show as if inside the logo.
Next I planned out the progress my preloader both in black and white and in colour.
Next I hopped into action script in order to make everything come together.
Something I noticed after last night was that I made a mistake, a big mistake. Good thing this wasn’t for a client or a project. I actually made the logo wrong haha, so I jumped back into flash this morning and fixed my flash file.
I’m not going to post another gif showing it because I’d need to fix a separate file but here is a screenshot of the preloader in action.