Hey again, If you read part one of this post you already know how badly my first attempt at a walk cycle turned out and that I had to restart. Fortunately I thought of a way to use what I already had instead of starting over completely from scratch. A week ago when my professor was checking everybody’s progress he said it would be funny if my AT-AT ran like a dog (know you know where this is going) I did not have the time to restart so I looked up a quadruped run cycle to begin manipulating my old illustrator file.
Thankfully, this cycle didn’t have 44 frames however it still took me a couple hours to manipulate each frame.
Like in my previous post, once I finished my run cycle I exported the file as SWF frames in order to bring it into flash. In addition to this run cycle I also made a second one in which the body of the AT-AT moved up and down. Here is a comparison between the two.
I decided to go with the one on the right because I felt, while the one of the left was hilarious, everything would look a lot smoother with the one on the right.
After importing my SWF frames and fixing the positioning of all of them I began working on my parallax background. I wanted to have a few things moving in the background so I made layers containing snow banks, mountains, and clouds (and more later on). I also added a shadow for my AT-AT
Something I had a LOT of trouble with was getting the background to loop properly (it still isn’t perfect, but it’s close)
When I get some time I’ll publish and upload a gif of all my failed attempts for everyone to see.
I had a hard time grasping that the end of my second background had to match the start of my first background….I think. I think the answer to this is very simple but I just ended up complicating it.
Anyways, once I got it to somewhat run smoothly I began working on my “extra” assets. In part one of this post you’ll see that I made vector images of turrets and a snow speeder.
I did a lot for these. I made a lot of embedded movie clips (animation in animation) in order to bring more life to my background. To do this I made a “laser” animation and stuck it inside the movie clips of both the snow speeder and one of the turrets to make them fire.
Initially I made both lasers red. But I kind of geek out when it comes to Star Wars and I’m pretty sure in the movies the Imperials had green blasters, and the rebels had red lasers at least in some scenes, anyways I got to add some more colour to a normally white and white (ha) scene.
In my opinion this still wasn’t enough so I two more embedded movie clips, both of explosions. I added in more animation to show a snow speeder destroying the other turret I made and a second snow speeder getting shot down and crashing in the mountains.
Below is a gif of my (almost) finished animation. I am aware that it isn’t perfect but I really needed to get this handed in tonight. Try to see how many bugs you can find and point them out :P.
As always thanks for reading my posts! And feel free to ask questions or leave comments!
Also, quick shout out to my buddy Scott for helping me out and my professor Joe for giving me the idea 😀