For another one of my college assignments I had to recreate a Bell banner ad 3 different times in Flash while following a storyboard. Out of the 3 different banners I had to make, I started with the 160x600px skyscraper.
Before starting everything I imported all of the assets I needed to make the banner into my flash file; and converted them into movie clips as needed.
Once everything was imported I set up my rulers. I had originally tried creating the banner without doing this and it looked very sloppy; with that said always remember that rulers are your friends and to stay organized. The storyboard for these banners was shown using a skyscraper format; also there was an storyboard that could be opened in illustrator. I used the illustrator file to determine the exact positions of the rulers, as well as supply some assets that were missing.
Other than the animation itself, there wasn’t that much else to work on with the banners. However, I had to be careful with resizing my assets because if they were too big, they screwed up the banner and if I made them too small they became hard to recognize.
The skyscraper banner didn’t take me that long and it wasn’t that difficult. However, this was a pretty simple animation to produce (all motion tweens and basic movement). I am sure that when I start learning and producing more complex animations the work will be a lot more time consuming (and the finished product will be more awesome :D)
Next I worked on the leaderboard banner (728x90px). Once the dimensions of the stage changed, I ran into more difficulties. This was mostly because the storyboard provided was only shown in the skyscraper format and I had to recreate it according to the storyboard as best as I could in other sizes.
Before I started animating I thought about how the animation would play out and where my rulers would go.
The two biggest issues I dealt with when making this banner was dealing with negative space and resizing my assets.
As I was animating I noticed that at one point I had a lot of negative space, and it really bothered me. I could be fine for others but it just looks so odd to me. I felt it as it is here but I think I’ll go back and change it before submitting it.
When resizing my assets I always worried about one thing, making them smaller. I eventually found the right size to make my assets but you never want to make them so big that they look out of place, or so small that they are not recognizable.
When I finished with the leaderboard banner I moved on to the last one. Which was a square (336x280px) banner.
The good thing about running into problems (and recreating the same banner 3 times) is that you can easily most of the issues you run into. With that said I didn’t really run into many problems on this banner.
The only thing that took me away animating everything was thinking out my layout and placing my rulers.
That’s all for this post, I hope my readers enjoyed it! 🙂