I am a huge Toronto Raptors fan so during my winter break I decided to throw something together.
I got the idea to make this after seeing this tweet from the NBA on my twitter feed.
I thought that this picture was such a great idea that I wanted to try something like it for the raptors. I don’t think any raptors on the team are actually Canadian (I could be wrong) but the team is in Canada; so instead of using a heart I used a maple leaf that I pulled off of Google images.
I wanted the maple leaf to blend into the background better; so instead of just using the image in its current state, I created a selection all around it and filled it with red so I could capture the shape of it. I then gave it an outer glow layer style.
Next came the hard part. Something that I’ve always had trouble with is cropping people out of images; especially since I was using Google and every image had a different resolution and size.
What I did was research some of the best players that were on the raptors and added them to a list of the current raptors. Once my list was finished I looked for the best quality images on Google. After I had images of all all the players on my list I got to work cropping them all out.
After I finished cropping out every player I began to determine how I would place them onto the maple leaf. I was originally going to arrange them how the NBA did it as they filled up the heart but quickly realized that that would be very difficult with the shapes of the players and the shape of the maple leaf. Instead I just filled up the maple leaf with as many players as I could. I actually ran into a problem that I never thought would happen. When I first started looking for the players I thought that I wouldn’t find enough players to fill up my poster because of being unable to find quality images; however, it turns out that I actually had too many players which is why people might notice some players are missing.
Next I wanted to have the raptors match the maple leaf. To do this, I put all of the cropped players into a group and applied a color overlay to that group. I made the colour red and lowered the opacity.
Another thing I had trouble with was finding quality images of the Raptors logo and typeface. I didn’t have the time to recreate them in illustrator (I might do this later though) so I just kept looking and eventually found them.
The last thing I needed to do was make the logo blend into the background better. To do this I just darkened the image a little bit. I also added bevel to the “Toronto Raptors” type face to make it stand out, but not stand out too much; if that makes sense.
This project is no where near perfect. I had a lot of trouble with pixelation because of the numerous differences in resolution for each picture but I’m proud of it because I love the Toronto Raptors. Hope you enjoyed the post and go Raps!