Ever since completing my digital ink of X-men sketch I really wanted to do another one; especially with my colouring being really lackluster. I revisited Deviant art and talked to one of the other artists I had originally contacted and he gave me permission to use his art.
I was more excited to do this one than the other one for a couple of reasons. One, I love the Infamous series and it’s much more fun to be inking something that you have an interest or liking for. Two, it was just one character. Don’t get me wrong I liked inking the x-men sketch too but it was a little too much considering it was my first time doing a professional ink. Three, no deadlines! It’s so refreshing to be able to do m own thing for a little bit and not worry about blasting through everything because it’s due in a few weeks. Finally, I got to practice the gradient mesh. I personally did not like how I coloured the Uncanny X-Men sketch. I felt my colour choice was poor and things just looked kind of bland. I didn’t want that to happen again. In class we very briefly looked at the gradient mesh and what it can do; because I had more time to mess around I decided to get some practice with it. But we’ll get to that later.
Right off the bat I had a little issue, well maybe not an issue, just something I felt looked off. When I started to make the eyebrows I noticed that they were an odd shape to begin with and inking them out made them look more odd. Everything still turned out good in the end though.
I actually didn’t have a lot of issues with this sketch, in fact I had a lot of fun over the 20ish hours (I really need to start keep track of everything). So I’ll show you some of the things that didn’t really cause any problems for me, but were just irritating to deal with and work around.
First of all the artist didn’t have to original file so I had to work off the image straight from deviant art the funny thing is that I never actually noticed the protection seal until I got to the pants.
There’s always going to be trouble when you can’t tell which line is which because of pixelation but I’m starting to get a little more accustomed to it.
Something else that was a little irritating to work on was the coils on Cole’s Amp. Originally, I was going to make one and just clone a whole bunch of them to save time. However, that didn’t work, and some of them were different in size and shape. To get around this I just made each coil individually; have to admit this part was a little boring but whatever.
The pants weren’t irritating at all; in fact, I think I had the most fun inking them. It’s just that as I was inking in all of the details I could see them becoming more and more uhh real I guess, if that makes any sense. Well maybe not real but more, complete.
Something I’ve learned over doing these sketches is that you should always inspect every part of the drawing before you ask an artists permission. Or if you were just too excited like I was at least inspect it before you start inking. I found my self confused on what that actually was (you can see more of my confusion of what is what on the Uncanny X-Men post) that I had to send a note to the artist. Unfortunately, I don’t think he understood my question so I had to make a judgement call.
Here is my finished ink of the sketch. Not really much I can say other than I really loved inking this thing.
Next I began to colour everything using the gradient mesh. My internet was out for the whole day yesterday (thank goodness I still had power though) so I couldn’t really look up any tutorials. The main problem I had with all my meshes was how tangled they got sometimes. It can take a long time to untangle them and it can also be very frustrating.
Originally I was just going to colour the sketch one section at a time but I felt like the other parts of him needed more colour. I brought up some reference pictures and started to make an initial colour of the whole piece. There are actually three variations of Cole but I’ll bring that back up near the end of the post.
Once I began using the mesh on the shirt I felt I was getting the hang of the mesh tool. I also noticed how much BETTER it looked in comparison to just using cell shading and colouring.
Here’s my final product. I love this piece, I had so much fun making it and I feel it is one of the best things I’ve ever done. Hopefully it will be the first of many great ones.
As I was saying before, there are actually three different variations of Cole. In the game there is a standard version (which I chose to do here) a good version, and an evil version. While I wont add anything to the original art I can colour them differently to match their respective variations. I had so much fun with this personal project so why not put more work into it, especially if I get to use the gradient mesh tool a little more. It’s a lot of fun once you get the hang of it.
Also BIG THANKS to TheALVINTaker on Deviant art for letting me use his piece! If you would like to see more of his work you can check out his gallery here